MAINTENANCE OF ARMY EQUIPMENT
The Maintenance Advisory Groups of the Branch worked closely with the appropiate Technical Divisions of SRDE. The Branch had the executive functions to provide information, advice and supporting engineer and technical services for all the Army telecommunications, night vision, radio and associated equipments. It covered all those REME activities which were required to support the development, introduction and subsequent maintenance of the equipment in service.
The Branch advised on realistic maintainabilty for inclusion in Staff Requirements and on the repair policy to achieve these requirements. It also advised SRDE, other extablishments and departments and contractors on maintainability aspects of new equipment designs. Studies were also carried out to improve methods of fault diagnosis and specification testing.
In addition to these primary roles the Branch also performed the following functions:
- Repair support for equipment trials undertaken by SRDE or the User. An Ease of Maintenance report was produced.
- Responsibility for the writing of EMERs, servicing schedules and technical folders.
- Investigating all Defect Reports and progressed subsequent action up to the issue of the modification kit and and instructions.
- Automatic rapid electronic repair of CLANSMAN radios was performed in the field using a test console manafactured by HONEYWELL LTD.
- To provide a manual back up to the test console where the use of the console was not able to be justified or impracticable, REME produced equipment that enabled manual testing of the CLANSMAN radios and its associated equipment.